Name Changes in OBIEE

So a user gets married or has another reason that necessitates changing their username. Afterwards the user is unable to log in to OBI and gets an error that their credentials are incorrect.

The issue is that although the GUID from the authentication is used to tie the account through the system, presentation services still uses the username for some of it’s security.

To rename the account and get the user back in to OBI run the command below:

<MW_HOME>/instances/instance1/bifoundation/OracleBIPresentationServicesComponent/coreapplication_obips1/catalogmanager/ -cmd renameAccounts -old <old_username> -new <new_username> -online http://<server_name>:9704/analytics/saw.dll -credentials /path/to/boot.txt

boot.txt is a file in the following format:

As a note this does not actually need to be a WLS admin user, it just needs to have Presentation Server Administrator Privileges in OBI.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Weblogic, Configuration Locks and Capitalization

After logging into OBIEE Enterprise Manager I was greeted with the following lovely message when I was trying to make some changes:

Configuration locked by: administrator

Which was rather strange as I was logged in as Administrator. It turns out that though the username is not case sensitive in regards to login, the locking mechanism is. After re-logging as “administrator” instead of “Administrator” I was able to release the lock and move on.

A google search this problem yielded several people searching for “Configuration locked by: weblogic”, but did not have solutions. Hopefully including that exact phrase here will help them find a solution in the future.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

No more than 1 hierarchy from the same dimension <Dimension Name> can be referenced

After doing an upgrade from to we noticed an analysis breaking with the following message:

No more than 1 hierarchy from the same dimension <Dimension Name> can be referenced

The good news is this bug is already documented as bug 12628039 and is listed as being fixed in Oracle has already provided a back port for Linux x86_64 (Patch 12628039) already and will have one available shortly for Windows Server 64bit.

Error Codes: OPR4ONWY:U9IM8TAC:OI2DL65P State: HY000. Code: 10058. [NQODBC] [SQL_STATE: HY000] [nQSError: 10058] A general error has occurred. [nQSError: 43113] Message returned from OBIS. [nQSError: 43119] Query Failed: [nQSError: 22068] No more than 1 hierarchy from the same dimension Entities can be referenced. (HY000)


Oracle has provided the patch and it works.

Posted in OBIEE 11g | 1 Comment

OBIEE Sample App

I have had several people asking me about the OBIEE Sample App and where to get it.

It is a VirualBox image though I have it running successfully on ESXi.

So without further ado:

Posted in OBIEE 11g | 1 Comment

OBIEE 11g, Teradata and the ODBC.ini

While working with an installation of OBIEE 11g and Teradata I noticed an odd occurrence when uploading a new RPD. Upon going back in to Analytics I was greeted with the lovely error message “blank name in quotation marks” everywhere the beautiful Teradata graphs and tables should be.

Knowing the cause was related to uploading an RPD, I started by looking in to the connection pool and database options in the RPD. Ultimately I realized the RPD itself could not be the cause as even downloading and re-uploading the same RPD with no changes would trigger the breakage.

My other initial suspect was the ODBC.ini file, however I was not making any chances to the ODBC.ini file before or around the time of uploading the RPD. Looking through the file everything looked good. Finally, as I was looking at the ODBC.ini file on a machine I had just upgraded from 10g I noticed the a difference between the systems. There were spaces in all the configuration options.

Apparently, OBIEE 11g unlike OBIEE 10g has decided that it needs to reformat the ODBC.ini after uploading an RDP. Removing the spaces in the file confirmed that this fixed the problem and then broke again as soon as an RPD was uploaded.

As it turns out the offending line is “DefaultDatabase = ” and commenting out or removing this line solves the issue. It appears that the Teradata driver does not seem to handle the spaces added by OBIEE 11g as gracefully as the DB2 and SQL Server drivers do.

Posted in OBIEE 11g | Leave a comment